The National Institute of Health www.householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/ maintains a website to educate consumers. There is a ton of information on this site and I recommend you check it out.
Try looking up some dish washer detergents. Some have Sodium Hydroxide in them which among other things irritates and burns the respiratory tract and is often linked to asthma. Major brand window cleaners have Butyl Cellosolve which is dangerous to inhale; last I knew these things came in spray bottles! There are a ton of items like this. I have used just about every one of those products to clean my home, bathroom, kitchen, and do the laundry. I had no idea.
There are serious consequences for what we are doing. Our children are paying the price with increasing rates of allergies, asthma, ADD, and autism. Here's something to make you SICK: what country has the highest rate of cancer in children? Answer: the United States. People who work from home have a 54% higher DEATH rate from cancer. An EPA study found pollution is 2 to 5X higher inside our homes than outside. Do you think there could be link to all the chemicals we are using inside our homes today? The people I have talked to all have stories of getting sick from cleaning. It is scary!
What can you do? Gather up all your cleaners and take them to a hazardous waste recycling center - what you are supposed to do since they are toxic. Replace them with green, non-toxic, effective products that are often much cheaper than the commercial brands. So why not save money and be safe? Seems like a no brainer to me!
Check out my website at www.kirstenmouton.myshaklee.com to see green, environmentally friendly products - click on Shop and take a look. But at least do something to make a positive change in your life! You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or call me at 760-532-3208. Feel free to leave me a comment - what have you tried that works?